Monday, August 8, 2011

People Blow my Mind.

Things have been really weird lately... stuff just keeps happening. I won't bore you with all the details of my life but there is one thing that I do wanna let you guys know about. Let me back track here a bit...
P.S. I know this is a long post, but please read it

August 4th
I had just taken my final for my summer class and did really well so I decided to get some new clothes at Tysons Corner. I hit up my fav store, The Gap because I had a 30% off coupon. I walked around, had some food and got ready to leave. As I was walking out of Nordstroms to the parking lot I heard a lady scream and yell "STOP THAT KID! HE STOLE MY PHONE!!" Instinctively, I started running after him. Screaming along the way at people he was running by so they could stop him, but no one did. One other person started running after him and backed him in to a car but the kid got away and ran across a 6 lane highway.

I stood with the lady, we will call her London, while the guy that was helping us followed the kid. I called 911 and reported the incident and waited with her until the cops showed. The guy eventually came back with her phone but the kid was gone. We all gave our statements and waited while the helicopters, dogs and cops looked for this kid. (Yeah all that for an iPhone, crazy). As we were waiting, London asked for my address and cell phone number. I told her it was fine and she didn't owe me anything. But she insisted on writing me a thank you note so I obliged. They had found someone that matched the description we gave so we got to ride in the cop car, I got the back and looked like a criminal. We talked a little and positively identified the kid. I got a ride back to my car and had a hell of a story to tell that night at the dinner table.

Now, B, my recruiter had emailed me earlier that week telling me about a PC event downtown. I was going to go but all of this craziness happened and by the time I was done the event was over. So I sent B an e-mail on Saturday saying I had witnessed a robbery and was unable to make it and also gave him a quick update about what was going on in my life in regards to PC.

Fast Forward to TODAY.
I got an e-mail from B.
That is crazy that you witnessed a robbery. I hope you helped solve the crime. Thank you for the update. I will definitely give you an update in September once we get an idea of how programs are going to look.
How adorable is he? But the I will definitely give you an update thing made me happy. It's the little things.

Later Today...
I left my dads and went over to my moms. She hadn't been home yet so I grabbed the mail. I noticed an amazon.com box but figured it was something my mom ordered. Upon further investigation.... it was addressed to me. I didn't order anything, weird. I opened it and saw it was a book, The Insider's Guide to the Peace Corps. Since my birthday is 2 weeks from today I figured my mom ordered it and accidentally put my name on it and not hers. I unwrapped the book and noticed a little note...
Bridge,
Thank you for your heroic actions. I really appreciate all your help. You deserve all you dream for, good luck with the Peace Corps :)
Yours,

London 'I got my iPhone stolen' Last Name xo
How crazy is that!?!!? I was in shock. I still am. That was so unbelievably nice of her. I had to thank her, but I didn't have her address or any way to get in to contact with her. But I tracked down her info with my super sweet detective skills. I just think its awesome that she was actually listing to the conversation we were having, since she was all shaken up (being robbed will do that to you). If I remember correctly she is in Paris now and I hope she is having a great time. I doubt she will read this but if she happens to find it.... You are amazing and I can't thank you enough.

Click here to get the book on amazon.

2 comments:

  1. this is sweet! Thanks for sharing :) You have to keep me updated with all the peace corps stuff. I'm proud of you, man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in the saying "What goes round, comes round"...you are living proof good things happen when you do the right thing. London did listen to you, obviously you made a postive impact on her life (perhaps on several levels)...and now you have one more fan in the world. Not bad.
    p.s. excellent post!
    ~AM

    ReplyDelete